U.S. Borders

1) Re-Entry Requirements -

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is now in effect.

The U.S. Customs & Border Protection website lists the identification documents necessary for land re-entry back into the U.S. at the following link:


The three most common accepted documents are:


A U.S. passport book, or


A U.S. passport card, or


An ENHANCED Drivers License - ( EDL, shows citizenship).

NOTE:  The WHTI provides the following two exceptions for children:



Under 16 years of age traveling with their family, OR


Groups of Children under 19 years of age, under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent.

Both exceptions allow children in the listed category to use a certified copy of a birth certificate as acceptable I.D.  Category (b) needs to also present a notarized form showing parental/guardian consent to travel outside the U.S.  Photo I.D., while always helpful, is not required for either category.

WHTI Reference Information:

The complete text of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (38 Pages!) as published in the Federal Register is available at this link:


For your convenience, here is a link to the one page (Page 18407, or 25/38) in the above .PDF document that describes all U.S. Border re-entry requirements.

The section on exceptions for children is highlighted in Red. 

2) Border Crossings -

Click on this link for the maps page, and read section 1) Getting to the border crossings for the details on getting to the Mexican border crossings.  We recommend you enter Mexico via the TECATE border crossing.

3) Border Wait Times -

A real-time listing of wait times at the San Ysidro, Otay Mesa and Tecate border crossings.  This nifty web application will also work on any internet enabled PDA or phone that has service in Mexico.  Click on this link, or point your browser to:


Please contact us with questions or comments.  All content Copyright (c) 2014 Rancho La Paloma Ministry Center.
Last modified: February 27, 2014