Most of us are familiar with the saying "Give a
man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you
feed him for a lifetime."
Development focuses on empowering the
local community to define, participate in, and resolve their own goals,
with their own ideas and resources.
of the principles emphasized are:
* Address both physical and spiritual community needs ("wholistic"
* The community develops the ideas and the
solutions to their own problems.
* The resources to implement the solution
come from within the community.
* Volunteers, ideas, and solutions increase,
and spread to other communities.
* The community learns how to reach its own
goals with God's help.
* We learn
from each other when we all participate together - We are equals.
* We model Jesus' leadership style by
serving all whom we work alongside.
Ranch is learning about these principles from a network of mutually supportive
organizations called Community
Health Evangelism (CHE). CHE's strategy to serve impoverished communities
has been used successfully around the globe for decades. We work
the local Mexican communities to further establish these principles as a model for service and
learn more about these ideas, and how other ministries are implementing
visit the following websites: